Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/20

can it be slleping sickenss?

I changed my diet to a vegetarian diet and now i sleep wherever i am in a taxi, in a public place like church anyway i am i just automatically switch off and it is so embarrassing.

Dear Lee
Falling asleep all the time, may be a sign of iron- or vit B12-deficiency anaemia, or low blood sugar levels. I would recommend that you ask your gp to check if you are suffering from anaemia and to test your blood sugar and insulin levels. If there is a problem, the dr will prescribe supplemental iron and folic acid, or vit B12, or recommend treatment for low blood sugar levels. If you are a strict vegetarian (not foods from animals), it will be advisable to take the iron and/or vit B12 supplements regularly to prevent deficiencies. If you have a blood sugar problem then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will help you with a low-GI vegetarian diet to prevent fluctuations in your blood sugar and insulin levels.
I hope you will be able to pinpoint what is causing you to fall asleep all the time.

1

Dear Lee