Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2008/07/07

Can it be a miscarriage?

Hi, im married and 24 yrs old. Ive been contraception from last year Aug and stopped this year January. I went to the docter a week ago for flu, before he gave me tablets he had to test me for pregnancy, He test but it was negative although he saw a very light second line and then recommended to give me pills which pregnant ladies can use, and suggest i come in three weeks time for another test. I do smoke and sometimes drink alcohol. I didnt get periods since may and friday drank a few glasses alcohol. On saturday evening i got light cramps & couldnt eat. Anyway then sunday morning i started my periods, but the through the day i saw it was not normal. iM STILL bleeding alot and need to wear tampon and pads, and still its alot of bleeding. Is it a miscarriage even though i was not far or is it the alcohol?

Dear Michelle
It should not be due to alcohol but may be a miscarriage - please go back to your doctor, they should be able to see with a sonar and a blood test if this is a normal menstruation or a miscarriage. If you are still bleeding and it was a miscarriage they may need to clean the womb from any leftover placenta to stop the bleeding.