Question
Posted by: Girls Only!! | 2009/11/28

Can it be?

I am 12 weeks pregnant wih my second child. Went to gynae and all is perfectly normal and baby is moving beautifully. Doc then tells me that it looks like a boy.. Clear indication on the sonar of the male genitals and not female. Can it be correct so early in the process??

It would be best to confirm a bit later.

2
Posted by: Professor J.T. NEL | 2009/11/30

Although the genital tubercle in the female does not elongate
extensively , it is larger than in the male during the early stages of
development . In fact , using tubercle length as a criterion ( as
monitored by ultrasound ) easily results in mistakes in
identification of the sexes during the 3rd and 4th months of gestation . Other ultrasound methods to differentiate fetal sex at these early stages of pregnancy are even more innacurate . If ultrasound is used to determine the sex of the baby , it is best done at any time after 16 weeks-in a male a small penis and the scrotal bags can be seen and in a female three lines , represnting the female external genitalia .

Reply to Professor J.T. NEL