Question
Posted by: Rippel | 2010-04-07

Can I sue his family

My daughters father does not work, for the last 10years (gets money sometimes from fools that believes in his deals) he sits at home everyday, and he lives in my house, his family is aware of all of this and doesn''t do anything to talk to him or help, can I sue them for all the money I spend on looking after him and my daughter, I am so sick and tired of all his excuses, PSE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE...

Why do you allow this lazy bum to live in your house, and thus support him, while discouraging him from seeking real work ? YOu can't sue his family ( who are probably thrilled that you have taken responsibility for sponsoring him ) - but you can probably ( get a free legal opinion from your nearest law school law clinic, eg ) kick him out of your home, which would require him to learn rather fast to support himself - and maybe to get his family inolved ? I see no reason why you should support him at all.
If he is eventually earning proper money, uyou could then go to the maintenance court to get a order for him to pay maintenance for the child's expenses, but I don't think they'd cover back payments for the period when you allowed him to do nothing and pay nothing. Still, it would be better than nothing, and at least you wouldn't have the ongoing costs of paying for his freeloading

4
Posted by: rrr | 2010-04-07

He''s using you because you put up with it, pack his bags and send him to his family, don''t bother trying to sue his family you won''t get anywhere and you will waste money on lawyers fees. You are not duty bound to support him if he can''t get off his backside and do something for himself. Just take care of yourself and your child.

Reply to rrr
Posted by: Purple | 2010-04-07

pack his things into suitcases, put them outside the front door and change your locks. That way you don''t have to spend any more money on him.
You can''t sue his family for money you have voluntarily spent on him.
Your daughter is your responsibility just as much as his, but waiting for him to take responsibility is a bit pointless as you are providing for him meaning he never has to take any responsibility.
Once you stop doing that he will either suddenly grow up or live on the street. Either way, I doubt you''ll get any financial support for your daughter.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Maria | 2010-04-07

Try the Divorce Support expert or support group.

Reply to Maria