Question
Posted by: Nike | 2009/05/26

can I still conceive?

I am 39yrs old, weeks ago was experiencing hot flushes but has since stopped. am I on early menopause and what are my chances of conceiving again? I have been trying for the past 5 months. I did not menstruate for the past two months but pregnacy test was negative.

Dear Nike

There are many reasons for so-called hot flushes and I would suggest that other hormonal factors be looked at as well. However with your history the likelihood of premature ovarian failure or premature menopause should certainly be considered. A simple series of blood tests would be all that is necessary to confirm such a diagnosis.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim