Posted by: Liané  van Zyl | 2011-07-08

hi, i hope you''ll able to give me an answer today because i''m planning on running the Knysna Halfmarathon tomorrow but i''m not sure whether i should.

i''ve got a head cold. or i think it''s just sinus. heavy postnasal drip causing coughing in the evening and sneezing during the day. when i blow my nose however, it is sometimes streaked with blood. not all the time, but probably 1 in every 5 times.

i don''t feel bad - my nose is just blocked.

can i run tomorrow?

If you suspect that you have the flu or a mere "head" cold, I do not suggest that you take part in the marathon, as an upper viral respiratory tract infection combined with strenuous exercise, will cause a viral myocarditis with heart failure. It is not worth the risk.