Posted by: sasha | 2012-01-30

Can i ovulate and be infertile?

My periods and ovulation are regular, no problems there ever. But I stil have not been able to conceive. Does the fact that I ovulate means I am fertile or can I ovulate and be infertile. (forgive my bad english.)

Dear Sasha

Ovulation is just one aspect of fertility. There are several other factors that can cause infertility that include problems with the tubes, problems with the lining of the womb as in implantation and problems with the sperm. All these should be carefully investigated for and if no other causes have been detected then you would certainly be able to assume that you could fall pregnant naturally provided that the quality of your eggs are reasonable. Occasionally despite ovulating regularly and finding no other problems there are patients who cannot conceive due to egg defects or poor egg quality and this can only be detected in an in-vitro laboratory environment. Fortunately this is not a very common occurrence.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Bee | 2012-01-31

Good morning.

You can ovulate and still be infertile. You could have endometriosis, or fybroids or blocked tubes, problems with implantation etc.

Your hubby should also get checked out for low spermk count or motility or morphology.

How long have you been trying for, if I may ask?

Reply to Bee