Question
Posted by: Shoni | 2012/05/03

Can I never deliver naturally?

Hi GD

I now find out after failing to give birth naturally (emergency C after a day of pushing) that my hips are not even and it is a congenital disorder. Will I likely never give birth naturally? As I intend to have four kids this is distressing, the thought of being cut open four times (what is the maximum by the way?)

With a congenital hip disorder is it ever possible to push a baby out? I didn''t dilate beyond 2cm and x-rays done later revealed my hips are very different, in fact (and I noticed this in my teens) when I stand one hip is slightly higher than the other, giving me a rolling kind of walk ppl have always thought I put on. On the x-ray the hip joint formation on the one side is completely different from the other. I am not in any hip pain though, although I had crippling backache my entire pregnancy. Any chance of ever having a natural birth?

Another issue is that I passed a severe case of Group B Strep onto my baby at birth, landing her in ICU for a full fortnight. Does this also suggest I shd just favour C-sections going forward? What is your understanding of preferred labour procedures for mums who have had a GBS baby in the past?

Shoni

Without seeing your X-rays I can't tell how this has affected your pelvis, but it does sound like your chances for normal delivery are small, especially since you have now had a caesarean.
Group B strep can be treated with antibiotics in labour. A caesarean would obviously prevent transmission to the baby as it does not pass through the birth canal.

1