Question
Posted by: Clyde | 2010/12/14

Can I make it for the 2 oceans half marathon?

Hi there, a few days ago I was thinking about doing the two oceans half marathon. According to the website there is 129 days left for the event.

Do you think I will be able to fit in time to do this event?

I am 34 years old and I am 120kg''s. I have no blood pressure problems and my overall health is ok.

Hi Clyde

Definitely, you can. Obviously, it's a major challenge, but one of the best things you can do is find a goal, and that's what this is.

Four months is enough time, but obviously you have to use it wisely - you can't afford to start, run for say 3 weeks, then get injured or sick, lose 2 weeks, then start again, and so on.

So it's important to get onto ONE programme, and then be controlled in your preparation.

Here's a link to a programme that will take you to 10km in 11 weeks. However, I'd suggest that you cut it to 10 weeks, by skipping out week 2 (it's very gradual at the start).

Once you've done 10km (which will leave you 5 weeks), then you build towards 21km, and that's not too big a step up, provided you are sensible about pace and when to walk.

So first aim for 10km, by the middle of February, and then take it from there!

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347-2101-2107-2251-2109.asp

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/18

Hi Clyde

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc