Posted by: Very early MENO | | 2010-05-31

Can I get pregnant?

I am 30 years old and have been diagnosed with early menopause. I have also been an insulin-dependent diabetic since age 11. Can early menopause be reversed and what are the chances that I can get pregnant.

Dear Very Early Meno

It is important to distinguish between premature menopause and premature ovarian failure although they both present clinically with the same symptoms. The important difference is that in premature menopause the ovary on ultrasound appears totally inactive whereas in premature ovarian failure the presence of good antral follicle count may suggest that eggs are still present although the ovary is not able to develop these eggs or release them. In the case of premature ovarian failure there are cases where spontaneous recover may occur and the ovary may then become active resulting in ovulation and pregnancy. However the time to recovery is unpredictable in most cases but can be evaluated from time to time clinically as well by ultrasound. Finally if the diagnosis is still uncertain a laparoscopy ovarian biopsy might be helpful.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim