Question
Posted by: Reds | 2009-02-04

Can I enquire from the school

My daughter is not selected as a school prefect, which was a great schock to her as she does very well in sport (best netball player for 2008 as an example) and she does well in academics, her school fees are not up to date is this the reason, can I ask the Headmaster.

I understand that you are upset, and it is perfectly fair to ask the school to help you understand this decision of theirs. It would be grossly unfair if a school decided not to make a worthy girl a prefect just because her fees were not yet fully paid up.
In my experience, all the guys who wwere made prefects were not the most outstanding in the school, and few have made much of a success of the rest of their lives. And as Lee says, let her use the extra time fruitfully to get better marks and a more golden future

2
Posted by: Reds | 2009-02-04

Thank you for the feedback, I just think she was very dissapointed because most of the kids in the netball team are prefects.

Reply to Reds
Posted by: Lee | 2009-02-04

Some schools work on the basis of the pupils vote on who they want as prefects. The head girl/boy and deputy are usually chosen from those voted in - this choice belongs to the teachers and the head of the school. I dont think that your not having her fees up to date would play a huge part. Eventhough she achieves in sport and academics perhaps she is not seen as ' leader'  or being of strong enough character to be a prefect. But look on the bright side of things, when the prefects are having to do extra prefect duties, she will have more time to study. And surely having great grades is more important than being a prefect??

Reply to Lee