Question
Posted by: LisaH | 2004-03-03

Q.

Can I eat feta cheese when pregnant?

I am 3 months pregnant and have a few queries re. what I can and can't eat which I can't find answers to in the many articles etc on the subject.

I have read a single article where feta cheese was mentioned as a risk food because it is unpasteurised, i.e. same danger as for mould-ripened cheese. I have eaten quite a lot of it in salads etc. How dangerous is it?

Also, have been told to steer clear of Vitamin A, but everything I look at has it as a component, including the recommended supplement I am taking (DS-24) which includes folic acid. How do I avoid ingesting Vitamin A and how dangerous is it? Thank you.

Expert's Reply

A.

It is advised that you avoid unpasteurised cheeses because of the risk of listeriosis. However, this is very uncommon in this country. If you want to be completely safe, avoid it. Excessive Vitamin A is a problem. The amount in your vitamin supplement is fine.

5
user comments

C.

Posted by: mgk | 2004-03-04

There is an interesting article on Woman24 under pregnancy about toxoplasmosis. This covers the raw meat/unpasturised milk thing.

I don't think you should take any additional vit A, as to what is in your preg vities.

Reply to mgk
Posted by: Wendy | 2004-03-03

Have also been told feta is fine. Vitamin A should be avoided where there are high quantities in certain foods, for instance don't ever eat Liver Pate while pregnant. The amount in your pregnancy supplement is fine and what you will need while pregnant. You do need Vitamin A while pregnant, you just shouldn't have alot of it ( I think the limit is about 3000iu ).

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: Kate | 2004-03-03

I have done such a lot of reading regarding Listeria since my baby died (at 36 weeks and 4 days) and can tell you that FETA and BILTONG are no-no's to eat during pregnancy.

Don't take warnings in books and magazines lightly. Soft cheese (brie, feta etc) and uncooked meat can contain bacteria that can lead to a miscarriage or stillbirth. It is certainly not worth the risk, please believe me!! Don't take anything for granted!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Norma | 2004-03-03

Try to stay away from uncooked meat, but if you do eat a little bit of "biltong" it would not be that bad, as for the cheese, I don't know but I also eat feta in salad almost every 2 day.
There is so many things not to do, I just don't know what to belief anymore. If you are really worried, ask your doc on the next visit, I'm sure he/she can help you. As for me, I'm just trying to eat healthy, and I'm sure my body will tell me when something is wrong.
You could also go to pregnancy dot about dot com, I'm sure you will find something there.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: ciska | 2004-03-03

Hi there,

Don't always believe what you read. I know you should avoid any shoft cheeses when you are pregnant. YOu can eat cheddar, gouda en feta. That's what's been told to me.

Query no 2. I don't think there's any way for you to avoid vit. A. YOu will get some of it in your body. Just eat normally and healthy and drink pregnavit M It's a multi-vitamin pregnant women use during pregnancy and contains all the vitamines needed for you and your baby to be health.

I'm only speaking under correction. But that's what I've been told.

Good luck with your pregnancy! :-)

Reply to ciska

Want to comment?