Question
Posted by: Diane | 2010/04/09

can i eat anything but stay within my calorie limit?

HI

I have read that as long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, then you can eat pretty much eat any food as long as its the same amount of calories as your daily allowance?

Will you still lose weight this way? i mean not eating like cake and chocolates everyday but say have about a chocolate or cake or something nice like once or twice a week as long as you keep in your daily allowance. And can you also eat low calorie receipes or do you have to follow stricly eating your portions of protein, carbs, veggies etc.? I eat very healthily most of the time but like to try different receipes that sometimes uses low fat sour cream and coconut milk, but of course i count these in to my calorie limit.

Thanks :)

Dear Diane
The basic principle for weight loss or weight maintenance is that individuals should not ingest more kJ than they expend per day. However, as you mention this does not mean that you should eat high-fat foods with a low nutrient density (i.e. low in protective nutrients like vitamins, minerals and fibre) every day or exclusively because this will lead to degenerative diseases and nutrient deficiencies. If your weight is stable you can have the odd treat like a slice of cake or a chocolate because your general energy intake is below a specific limit. You can also use the low fat sour milk and coconut milk in recipes (as well as healthy fats like olive oil) as long as the total energy content of your daily food intake does not exceed approx. 6300 kJ per day if you are trying to lose weight and 8400 kJ per day if you are maintaining your weight.
Enjoy

2
Posted by: WW | 2010/04/12

Try Weight Watchers. They make this principle (of eating whatever you want, while staying within a set " points"  limit) easy...

Reply to WW

Dear Diane
Enjoy