Question
Posted by: Lana | 2012-02-09

can I cheat this way

Hi DietDoc

I am trying to take in a lot more water, not easy for a non-water-lover...

If I drink a lot of rooibos does this go towards my daily quota? I don''t take sugar and very little milk. Is four or five cups a day ok, plus maybe 3 glasses of water and one juice?

Is rooibos a ''herbal'' tea or how does one classify it? Shd I be drinking things like green tea and chamomile tea instead, are those the genuine herbal teas?

Dear Lana
It is important to remember 3 things about increasing one's liquid intake: 1) All the liquids we drink contribute to our liquid intake, namely tees, coffee, cold drinks, fruit juices, bottled and tap water, soda water, milk, etc. 2) Adults should ingest 2,5 litres of liquid a day - not more. You are already having 4 x 250 = 1 litre of rooibos tea plus 750 ml of water plus 250 ml of juice = 2 litres a day. Try adding another cup or so of rooibos or any other drink you enjoy to make up the last 500 ml (2 cups). 3) Excessive liquid or water intake can be just as harmful as drinking too little. If you drink litres and litres of liquid your body may lose vital minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium, which are lost via the kidneys. This can cause an electrolyte imbalance, which can make people very ill, causing symptoms such as water retention and even death. Rooibos tea is a herbal tea as it has many health benefits. It is not necessary to change to other types of herbal tea.
Enjoy

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-02-10

Dear Lana
Enjoy