Posted by: Dissapointed | 2009-03-04

can High Protein diet cause weight gain

Hi there,

Please can you help me. I was on a high protein diet last year october with injections and lost a fantastic 10 kgs. Even though i tried to stick to i seemed to have gone in the opposite direction and gained back all my 10kgs and more. I cant understand what could be the problem, except i think it could be the injections that helped. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance which i was all cleared up after i lost the 10kgs now back again. I have such a fear of Carbs and know i need to get over this. What can i do. I weight 102kgs, am 32 years of age and 5.6 hight.

Dear Disappointed
I can imagine that you must be so upset that you regained the weight you lost and now have PCOS and insulin resistance (IR) all over again. This is unfortunately one of the effects of a high-protein diet. Despite the astounding weightloss, most people cannot sustain it and when they then revert to eating a normal diet, they not only regain what they have lost, but often gain even more weight. Those injections can also be very dangerous - I don't know what type you had, but if they contained A.P.L. (human chorionic gonadotropin or HCG) then they can have caused the weight gain. You do have a very high BMI of 37.5 and it would be most deneficial if you could lose weight. As for your fear of carbs, it is important to understand that even if you suffer from IR, you are still allowed to eat carbs with a low-GI. It is essential for anyone with IR to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Start out slowly with a type of exercise that you can do such as walking and then increase how fast and far you walk every day.