Question
Posted by: Worried | 2012/09/14

Can feel and see heart beating

I am a 38 year old women and was born with rheumatic fever, had a leaking heart until age 18 when doctors fixed it. Now 20 years down the line I can feel and see my heart beating and even hear it. I was diagnosed with DVT last year June, been on blood thinners until January this year. Dr''s told me it''s fine to go off the medication. At times my arteries burns, this also happened a few months after the leaking heart was fixed. A few times during the day I also get the irregular hearbeats, which really worries me. (Nothing was wrong with the valves) Should I be worried, can it be that my blood is thick again or should I see my Dr again? I am not taking any medication and is very healthy.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Worried

Rheumatic fever is a condition that children get, usually between the ages of about 5 and 15. You can’t be born with it! If you had a leaking heart valve at birth it cannot have been due to rheumatic fever.

You don’t mention how doctors fixed the leaking valve. Normally there is only one way to fix leaking valves and that is to repair or replace them with an open heart operation. Is that what you had?

If you can feel and see your heart beating and even hear it – wonderful! It is not abnormal to feel or hear or even see your heart, especially if you have a heightened awareness of your heart because of a previous heart condition.

It sounds as though your deep vein thrombosis has been properly treated.

You say your arteries burn, but arteries can’t “burn”. Minor irregularities of your heart rhythm are also usually nothing to worry about.

It sounds as though you are anxious about your condition, so I would arrange to see your doctor again for a full check up. You need to see a cardiologist who can go through and explain everything to you and give you peace of mind.

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/26

Dear Worried

Kind regards and best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist