Question
Posted by: zena | 2009/11/11

Can Dalacin cause infection?

I was on a trip where we spent large amounts of time driving or flying and bathroom visits were few and far between.

When I came back home, I had a urinary tract infection and also a vaginal infection (which my doctor suspects was caused by the urinary tract infection).
He prescribed cefasyn 500 and Dalacin VC.
This seemd to help, but now, a bit more than a week after I stopped using Dalacin VC, I' m experiencing itching and burning. There is also swelling and redness.
There is some white discharge, but not much.
I also don' t have abdominal pains or any pain inside the vagina.

Side effects listed on Dalacin VC are C albicans. T. Vaginalis overgrowth, symptomatic cervicitis and vulvar irritation.

I haven' t been sexually active since before I received treatment (Dalacin and antibiotics).

Could the Dalacin VC have caused the problem and what do I do now? I read somewhere that ph levels can also play a role. Would lowering my intake of foods that promotes acidity in the body help?

Antibiotics can predispose to thrush and it sounds like this is what you have. You should treat this with Canesten pessaries. In future, it might help to take probiotics when you use antibiotics.

1