Question
Posted by: Wanna be chef | 2009/01/27

Can Chickenpox immunisation prevent shin

I want to know if you vaccinate a child against chickenpox will they then be immune to shingles in adulthood? Can a child still get chickenpox even if immunised? Why don' t they make a vaccine for shingles then? Seeing it affects so many adults and is such a serious disease.

Dear Wanna be chef
A live vaccine for shingles was marketed as Zostavax (in 2005 I think). One with the name Varilrix is now available in SA. Most children and adults can now be vaccinated against chicken pox (this vaccine was only developed in the late 1980's and registered in the US in 1995)