Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/06/29

Can cats hiccup?

My one cat has recently started hiccuping. I''m never sure he if he is going to vomit, he will have a sort of spasm (like a hiccup) and then lick his lips. This can go on for minutes at a time but I haven''t seen him vomiting lately. (He might be doing it outside.) Is this normal?

Hi Maria

Cats can hiccup and it is normal. The reason for the hiccups may be due to distension/expansion of the stomach and movement of stomach acid into the oesophagus (food tube). Other causes: neurological, irritation in the thorax(chest cavity), metabolic disorders (esp renal failure).

I would be concerned if the hiccups increase in duration and frequency. For now I would change the cats diet - for example: Hill's sensitive stomach or Hills z/d - and see what happens. If you are overly concerned then please visit your local veterinary practice.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/06/30

Hi Maria

Reply to CyberVet