Question
Posted by: WORRIED | 2003/09/01

Q.

Can CANDEREL cause CANCER??

Can Canderel cause colon cancer or any other cancer? I have 3 - 6 tablets a day and now I am very worried? I thought I was doing the healthy thing but have been told that it can cause cancer. My mom and her dad died of colon cancer at a very young age.??? What must I do - have fructose in it's place??

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Worried
There is no proof that artificial sweeteners such as Canderel cause cancer. To prevent colon cancer you need to increase the amount of dietry fibre you eat and have 5-9 portions of fruit and vegetables every day. Foods rich in dietary fibre are unprocessed cereals and grains, legumes and vegetables. Exercise has also been identified as protective against cancer, so get active on a regular basis. A nutrient called lycopene, which is found in all tomato products (fresh, puree, paste and sauce) has been identified as particularly beneficial in the prevention of colon cancer. Try to avoid fatty foods, charred foods (over-grilled meat, and burnt toast) and highly processed starches and excess intake of cakes, sweets, etc. If you are only having a few of these sweeteners a day, then it is not really necessary to change over to other products like fructose.

Want to comment?