Question
Posted by: Guest | 2011/01/25

Can Behaviour Change

Can I change 40-odd year old behavior by going to behaviour therapy? I am not bipolar, I am on medication for depression and anxiety, but i know i behave unreasonably and can be outspoken or snap at people. I am essentially an unfaithful person in long relationships, which I dont manage to maintain. Can behaviour therapy change these things I dont like about myself? Sustainable change?

Possibly. Nothing in this life is certain. It is worth trying, IF you will sincerely work with your therapist and try to chang, and if you are properly motivated and actually want to change, rather than to prove that the situation is hopeless. And remember whether change will be possible and lasting is up to YOU as well as the therapist.

14
Posted by: Friend | 2011/01/26

Your last comment re judgemental opinions was unessesary - will u ever learn??????

Reply to Friend
Posted by: Guest | 2011/01/26

Please can the Doctor answer and not these judgemental opinions.

Reply to Guest
Posted by: Guest | 2011/01/26

Apologies for offending.
No i am definitely not bi polar - I have asked on more than one occassion and been told I am not bi polar.

Reply to Guest
Posted by: Friend | 2011/01/26

Well, asking for advice seems to have brought out the very worst in you, no wonder u want to change! Realising u want to change is comendable but you have a lot of work a head. You mention you have sky highs and rock bottoms have u ever been diagnosed as bi polar?
Would be " nice"  if you could apologise for your comments on this page - surely one instance of a rock bottom.This would be a great start to the new u.
Keep in touch.

Reply to Friend
Posted by: Soul | 2011/01/26

I think you going for therapy is a good start. Just a word of advise, don''t snap at the person who is willing to assist you like you are snapping at the people here. Try hard to curb your rudeness aswell. For the record change does come from within and one must want it and act on it.

Reply to Soul
Posted by: Karl | 2011/01/26

Before you check others'' spelling ... check your own too .. LOSE ... You don''t have anything to LOSE ... by the way - this is an advice column not a classroom ... I too, rest my case!!!

Reply to Karl

Posted by: Sam | 2011/01/25

We do not correct peoples grammar,spelling etc on this site.
Land Lord may have hit a raw nerve but please try to be nice. Land Lords comment seem reasonable and maybe you should take them on board.
I wish you well in therapy.

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Land Lord | 2011/01/25

Even your reply was unpleasant - i rest my case- U need therapy asap.

Reply to Land Lord
Posted by: Guest | 2011/01/25

and i get most upset with people you use ''u'' instead of full adult words - YOU.
I''m hoping to change a lifetime of essentially what is my nature and become someone nice? Surely ''nice'' is relative? I have sky highs and everyone loves me and i am so popular and make my partner so happy, then i have a few rock bottoms and its pretty bad. I know that this needs to change.
AND for the record i know myself very well, SOMETIMES when i can, I avoid situations that may bring out the worst in me.

Reply to Guest
Posted by: Guest | 2011/01/25

I guess you are right - I dont have anything to loose. Unfaithfulness, boredom, always seeking next adventure, narsissism - all part of my character - you dont just decide to change character and hope like hell it works.

Reply to Guest
Posted by: Swamp | 2011/01/25

Unfaithfulness is a choice,nobody forces u 2 have a relationship.I think you have no choice but to try therapy.You sound a most unpleasant person. U dont even like yourself.What have u got to loose?

Reply to Swamp
Posted by: Guest | 2011/01/25

what is PCP?

Reply to Guest
Posted by: Absolutely! | 2011/01/25

Guess what! Everybody is unique and different, you are a special person with wants needs and desires, the only way to find out if behavioural therapy will work FOR YOU is...drum roll please...go and find out!!!! Works for some,doesnt work for others, much like hotwiring a car, attempting a presidential assasination or mainlinking PCP! I hope it does work for you and your problems fade away.

Good luck buddie!

Reply to Absolutely!