Posted by: Aqueous man | 2009-05-21

Can aqueous cream be used as lubrication?

Hello. Please help me out here. I have a couple of tubs of aqueous cream and don' t use them much on my skin. I was wondering it they can be used as an internal lubricant for vaginal and anal sex with my wife/life partner (both of us STI-free)? We don' t use condoms as we have been tested for STIs and are faithful to one another, but for those who do us condoms, do you think aqueous cream would be safe for use with condoms or could they break? I have " Nurse' s Own"  cream, some pharmacy specific/generic tubs and a nice Johnson' s one. If it will help to give a list of ingredients (they all seem to be similar), the Johnson' s cream has: Aqua, Petrolatum, Cetearyl Alcohol, Parraffinum Liquidum, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Parfum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Limonene, Geraniol, Lyral, Isoeugenol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone.

Aqueous cream is a very bland plain emollient (soothing cream) that is usually used for treating dried cracked skin. It is perfume-free and is therefore less likely to irritate than the steroid creams. Many women gain benefit from the use of this cream as it soothes and rehydrates the skin. Some women keep the cream in the fridge and this can help even further with inflamed skin. It can be used indefinitely and as frequently as you like. It is available without prescription and can be used as a soap substitute and even a sexual lubricant.

When using condoms and lubrications the following should be useful suggestions:

Lubrication DO’s:
• KY jelly
• Aqueous cream
• Spit
Lubrication DON’T’s
• Butter
• Cooking oil
• Vaseline

Posted by: Scara | 2009-05-21

Definately NO - try to use KY on most occasions as some people have sensitive skins ans the irritation only shows after a few weeks. Get the small sachet (normally about R5,00 a piece at AW shops) and try it.

Reply to Scara