Question
Posted by: Preggies | 2009-03-27

Can a dog sense this

Hi there I' m pregnant with our 1st baby - 6mths now. We have a big black mongrel dog, no idea of what breeds he consists of but the last few months he' s become so very much more attached 2 me. No matter where I am in the house he will come + find me + stay near 2 me. I' s almost as though he feels that he needs 2 protect me more lately. Is it possible that he knows I' m pregnant? Also he' s become more agressive with strangers lately especially when I' m alone at home. He is 3 yrs. old now.

Dear Preggies

They can sense it from very early on. My Whippet knew before we did that my wife was pregnant again. He started with his very starnge behaviour when she was 3 weeks pregnant and with no 3 again.

2
Posted by: WR | 2009-03-31

Chill - level-headed as usual!  -)

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-29

Nobody knows for sure what dogs can or can' t sense in their minds. However, the hormonal changes you' re undergoing may well trigger something that the dog can perceive.

While it' s quite endearing that you feel the dog is taking extra care of you at the moment, it would probably be healthier and better for both of you, as well as the baby, for you not to allow him too many liberties or too much attention. Once the baby comes, you simply won' t have the time or energy to devote yourself to the dog, and the contrast may well spark a sense of rejection, or ' jealousy' , in him.

See if you can anticipate the kind of routine (for him) that is going to prevail in the long term, and get him used to that now, if you can. Obviously you won' t withhold affection or attention from him, but he needs to understand that this will be given when it suits you, not when he demands it.

Reply to Chill