Question
Posted by: G | 2010/09/08

Can a dietician help someone like me?

I have a problem… I have a mental block when it comes to dieticians and don’ t know why. I have always been overweight , always on diets, and the weight just keeps on piling on and I know weight 150kgs. I entered an eating disorder programme 3yrs ago and am still seeing my therapist, however, I stopped seeing my dietician. I don’ t know why I am so resistant as I am feeling the side effects of weighing so much and am scared of something happening to me. It feels as if I am split into two –  one part desperately wanting to eat healthy and the other part sabotaging all attempts to be healthy. What I would like to know from you is will a dietican be able to help someone like me? I do want help but I am resistant which makes it very frustrating. Somehow in my warped mind I believe I can do this on my own, but I know it is impossible as I have tried for 30 odd years and have only gained more weight. I am very self conscious and have a nonexistent self-esteem. I desperately want to lose weight but I don’ t want to waste anyone’ s time. After 3 yrs, I have finally made an appointment but am very anxious as I don’ t know if this is the right thing. Can a dietician help someone like me?

Dear G
I do think that a dietitian should be able to assist most patients, even those who resist their advice! The dietitian will certainly help you with a slimming diet and also provide ongoing support. However, I would recommend that you also consider consulting a clinical psychologist because you mention a whole number of psychological problems (nonexistent self-esteem, a warped mind, anxiety, mental blocks, etc), which probably need to be addressed before you can take charge of your life and your weight problem.

3

Dear G

Posted by: G | 2010/09/08

Hi Nomanzi,
The word " diet"  should be banned. I agree we should strive towards a permanent healthy lifestyle, not a temporary fad diet. Thanks for replying to my post. I wish you all the best with your journey. I hope to be where you are soon. All i can do is try.

Reply to G
Posted by: Nomanzi | 2010/09/08

Hi G,
Well, at some point I also thought I can do it on my own. I actaully have lost some of the weight from most of the crush diets out there but was never seen as skinny, didnt matter how thin I thought I looked :-(. Let me tell you - I am at my biggest now and hate it. But when I booked with my dietician, I asked her for a lifestyle eating plan, NOT DIET because I know I can do it now and will eventually fall off the wagon again. I think it works better if you take it as " your way of leaving" . I have heard of people that dont buy cooking oil or mayonaise at their homes and I wondered why, but they chose a lifestyle that is going to be healthy and benefit them and their children.
It hasnt been that easy but with the dietician... I see where I am going although it is still soon to tell... but hey... I wanna live and which other way to do it than to do it a healthier way...
Give it a try... Good Luck!!

Reply to Nomanzi