Question
Posted by: Lola | 2006/01/16

Q.

Can a 2 year old drink ENSURE

My daughter will be 2 in a week. She has a very poor appetite & eats very little. A friend has told me to give her ENSURE. It is a supplement. I bought a can, but noted that it is not intended for children less than 4 years old. I questioned my friend, and was told that her pharmacist recommended it for her daughter last year, and she was 2 then.

Can I give my daughter a little to drink?

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Lola
Meal supplements like Ensure, etc, are usually formulated for adult requirements and if the recommendations say 'Not intended for children younger than 4 years' then I would not use the product for a toddler. I would rather try to persuade my child to eat fruit, vegetables, yoghurt, lean meat, fish, eggs, and whole grains and drink milk. If she has a poor appetite this could be due to an underlying physical problem so it is always a good idea to have her general health checked by a Paediatrician or medical dr. If she is given a clean bill of health then you need to keep in mind that very small children have small tummies and are not able to eat large portions like adults. She may need to eat small quantities often (6 or more meals a day). You could also consider giving her an infant vitamin and mineral supplement such as Vi-Daylin syrup, as the B complex vitamins should help to stimulate her appetite. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Toddlers' to see how much she should be eating of each food group.

Want to comment?