Question
Posted by: KIMBERLY | 2012/07/24

CAMEMBERT CHEESE

I love Camembert and Brie cheese. If I have either one on 2 slices low GI Brown bread everyday for lunch for a week....how fattening would that be. However I don''t indulge all the time, except 1 week per month.

Dear Kimberly
Both Camembert and Brie are soft ripe cheeses which have similar energy and fat contents of 1511 kJ and 24.3 g of fat per 100g. If you eat a 30g slice of either cheese, this would provide 453 kJ and 7.3 g of fat per sandwich. You will have to check the energy content of 2 slices of your low-GI brown bread as the SA Food Tables do not list all the different low-GI breads. According to a packet of Albany low-GI seeded brown bread that I have available, 2 slices provide 856 kJ and 3.5g of fat. Your sandwich would, therefore, provide 453 + 856 = 1309 kJ or 20.8% of your daily energy intake if you are on a slimming diet. This is less than 2100 kJ or 1/3 of your energy intake which is usually allocated to main meals. Your fat intake would be 10.8g in total. Add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber or berries which are very-low-energy foods, for flavour and variety.
Enjoy

1

Dear Kimberly
Enjoy