Question
Posted by: alison | 2010/05/18

camembert and pregancy

I ma 5.5 months pregnant, and have been eating well and avoiding all soft cheeses etc. At the antenatal classes last week a dieticain said we can eat camembert, feta etc in SA as its all pasturised. SO i had a slice of break with cam. on the weekend, only to watch great expectation on monday to hear of a woman who had a miscarriage she said due to eating soft-cheese..
comments plse!

thanx
Alison

It would be very unlikely to have a problem though not impossible.

3

Posted by: Racoon | 2010/05/19

The dietician and Purple are right - our cheese in SA are almost all made from pasteurised milk and hence listeria-free. Just make sure you buy or eat cheeses from the mainstream producers such as Fairview, Simonsberg, Dalewood etc. Always ask whose cheese they use in restaurants.

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: Purple | 2010/05/19

The danger with soft cheeses is Listeria. A mild tummy ache in you and can in very rare cases be dangerous to a baby.
Pasteurisation kills the listeria bacteria, so if the cheese is pasteurised, then it''s fine.

Other places we can pick up listeria are soft serve from machines that haven''t been cleaned properly, salad bars in supermarkets where the salads just sit and the bowls aren''t cleaned out.

I asked my gynae about this too, and he said it was fine to eat soft cheese that was pasteurised. I ate brie and camembert while pregnant (at home to avoid comments from other pregnant women).
He also told me everything in moderation, so he said it was fine to eat liver pate on some melba toast, but not to eat the whole tub of pate as that would be too much vitamin A (there''s vitamin A in many of the fruits and veg we eat anyway, and in small amounts in our pregnancy vitamins but lower than in non pregnancy vitamins).

Reply to Purple