Question
Posted by: SR | 2010/06/14

Calves?

I need some advise please. I am generally slim although i have a problem with my legs and calves in particular. The fat content in my legs is far too high. if i grab my skin you can actually see the fat under the skin (if that makes sense) its gross.
How do i get rid of the fat and tone my legs??
i dont have time to go to gym (i have 3 young children) so anything i do must be home besed.
Would you recommend a stationary bicycle or one of those mini stepping machines??
what else??

thanks!!

HI SR

You have to approach it the same as you would any other fat. Unfortuately, we were not made to spot reduce, or target the fat distribution in certain areas only. So we have to train more or less the same, regardless of which area we're aiming to lose fat on. And this requires cardio type work, like cycling. So if you can get a bike, I think it would be better than a stepping machine, mainly because stepping tends to involve very specific muscles and doesn't quite produce the whole body energy use of cycling.

Home based exercise is tough though, I think part of it is that it becomes too convenient and too easy to pass up. SO you'd have to be very disciplined in how you did it. It also gets boring, which is why if it is possible for you to find even one day a week, it woudl really be a good idea to go walking/jogging, just for a change of scene. It's also something you can do with friends, which is always a big help.

GOod luck

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/06/18

HI SR

GOod luck

Reply to fitnessdoc