Posted by: Jubi | 2013-01-11

Calories needed

Hi Diet DOc,

I am using an app (My Fitness Pal) to track what I eat during the day (in order to learn better eating habits). The app suggested a calorie intake of 1330 a day but this seems sort of low to me. I''ve only been on it a week and have lost around 400g, so it isn''t super fast weight loss that might be unhealthy, I think?

I''m a 28 year old female currently weighing 72kg and am 1.66m tall. I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week and the rest of the time I''m not very active. Can you perhaps suggest an appropriate calorie intake if the 1330 isn''t right?

Thanks so much1

Dear Jubi
Compliments of the season to you. In general, the sensible recommendation for weightloss in adult women who are not doing very strenuous exercise every day, is 1500 kcal or 6300 kJ per day. A lower energy intake as suggested by this My Fitness Pal app can lead to lack of energy, deficiencies, etc. A loss of 400g per week can also be achieved with a low-fat diet with a more moderate energy content of 1500 kcal as mentioned above.
Please be Very careful that the use of this App does not lead to an obsession with food and/or slimming.

Posted by: ME | 2013-01-12

Hi Jubi
I am doing the same thing, although sometimes the options on food are not quite what I am eating but the nearest possibilty so the calorie calculation could be incorrect.
My calculation was 1200 calories and some days I seem to be under and other days I am a bit over. But I am almost always hungry. i have a friend who is a nutrition and wellness councellor and she said I must take my focus off calorie intake and rather on balanced meals. All these Kilojoule controlled diets focus on the calorie intake but you could be keeping within your limit but eating the wrong combination of foods which will do harm to your body.
I also do about the same level of activity - I have been on the calorie-controlled diet since monday and have not yet weighed myself. I go from not hungry to absolutely ravenous and then I end up snacking like crazy (even if its only low calorie items)

I suggest you see a dietician who will work out your BMI and then help you work out an eating plan. If you''re in Joburg you can email me and I''ll send you my friend''s details.

Reply to ME