Question
Posted by: Tumi | 2011/11/07

Calories intake

Hello Doc
I am 39 yrs, my weight is 93.5, my height is 1.65 and my goal weight is 75kg. I am currently consuming 600 calories a day. Is it healthy? According to my age, weight and height, hom many calories should I be consuming a day to lose weight and finally, hom many calories a day should I burn to lose weight.

Tumi

Dear Tumi
Your present BMI = 34,4 which is in the obese range. It would be excellent if you can reduce your weight down to 75 kg, which would give you a BMI = 27,6. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25, you would need to weigh 68 kg, but first aim for 75 kg. In general, experts recommend that adult women should ingest 1500 kcal per day to lose weight. If you are only ingesting 600 kcal per day, you may find that weightloss slows down after a while because your body feels 'starved'. If this should happen, increase your energy intake to 1500 kcal and step up your exercise. It is difficult to specify how many kcal you need to burn per day, because an aerobic or cardio exercise session lasting more than 30 min will increase what is called the Basic Metabolic Rate for up to 24 hours after the exercise and use up even more kcal than the ones you burn during the exercise. The general recommendation is that you should do 30 or more minutes of aerobic exercise (brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, rowing or skipping) every day to achieve maximum weightloss.

2
Posted by: Tumi | 2011/11/07

Hello Doc my Doc
Has anybody ever told you are amazing? YES, you are!!! You are on top of your game and one can feel the passion oozing from your responses. You never fail and please,stay as factual, knowledgeable and passionate as you are!!!

Tumi

Reply to Tumi

Dear Tumi