Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2008/09/19

Calories in Soya Milk and nuts?

Hi there.
I would like to know does Soya milk contain more calories than 2% milk , Im currently using Alpro natural (blue box) and it does not give an indication to me, as well as nuts-Ive sort of replaced eating chips and snacks with nuts, namely pistachios and cashews, but I totally LOVE these nuts and am worried that I am consuming too much of them and actually doing myself in on the weight loss side rather than keeping my calorie intake stable for weight loss.

Thanks a lot!!

Dear Nicky
The SA Food Tables list an energy content for soy milks used by adults of 137 kJ per 100 ml of the soy milk contains. 2% cow's milk contains 208 kJ per 100 ml, so you are actually using the option with the lower energy content - just make sure that this brand of soy milk is fortified with calcium (the 2% cow's milk contains 122 mg of calcium per 100 ml). If it is not fortified with calcium and you don't use any other good sources of calcium (yoghurt, cheese), then you should consider taking a calcium supplement because adult women require 1000 mg of calcium a day. Pistachio and cashew nuts contain 2416 kJ and 2402 kJ per 100g, so 30g (2 tablespoons) portions will contain 725 and 721 kJ respectively. Thus these nuts and most other nuts have a very high energy content because of their high fat content. So although they are excellent foods, you need to eat them in small quantities if you are trying to keep your energy intake stable.