Posted by: Enhle | 2008-12-02

Calories in oats

Please help me understand this, I read the calorie count on this page about Bokomo oat it is 62 cal per cooked 100g but per 100g uncooked it is 400 cal.I usually eat a cup of Jungle oat every morning.Does this mean oats when it is cooked the calories are reduced?I am 28 weigh 89.7 how much calories should I take in a day.
Thanks for your time

Dear Enhle
Yes this is correct. According to the SA Food Tables, uncooked oats will provide you with 420 kcal or 1757 kJ per 100g and cooked oats will supply 66 kcal or 274 kJ per 100g. The reason for this is that when you cook oats or any other porridge you add a large quantity of water to the dry oats. Dry oats have a water content of 5.6% while cooked oats contain 85.3% water and water does not provide any energy. So by cooking the oats you have actually diluted the energy content! Adult women require about 2000 kcal per day to maintain their weight and 1500 kcal per day if they want to lose weight.

I am curious to know. I am a Diabetic on tablets and insulin - I am currently on a very strict diet and I am losing weight to my own and everyone else's delight. My sugar is down as well but the protein shake I take in the morning - when I check my sugar at about 07:30 to 08:00 it is between 7.2 and 8.2 but two hours after the shake (and that is all I have) the sugar goes up to 12.8 to 13.8 even though I take the pills when I do the shake and then at 10:00 it has gone up to the count I indicate above and then I am forced to take insulin but with my intake of 120g spinach and 100g hake breakfast and lunch, then the sugar stays well below 10 so how do I deal with this shake that takes sugar up to 13+

I'm 14 years old and weigh 81.2 kg I need to find out how many calsin a bowl of jungle outs is there