Question
Posted by: scorpio | 2009-07-22

calories for my training?

Hi doc. My diet consists of about 1500 calories per day. I alternate 1 hour of walking with 20 minutes of sprinting in the mornings on alternate days. In the evenings I do weight training focusing on 2 body parts per day lifting heavy weights. I am 177 cm tall, weight 62kg and I think my BMI is 20. Is this enough / too much food ? I have 6 meals a day focusing on carbs &  protein. Thanks.

Dear Scorpio
Your BMI = 19,8 which is too low. Your ideal body weight would be 68 kg if you are a woman? If you train every day for more than an hour then you should be ingesting at least 2000 or more kcal per day. I don't know if you are restricting your food intake and exercising to such an extent because you are an athlete who has to weigh very little, but if this is not the case then please increase your energy intake before you become anorexic. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for sportsmen and women' esp about carbohydrate intake, carbo-loading and the GI. Also calculate how much energy you should be ingesting every day depending on the type of exercise you do.