Posted by: Jade | 2008-11-10

calories burned

Hey diet doc

I was just wondering how many calories I burn a day so that I can have an idea on how much I should eat. I’ m 15 years old, I weigh 56kg and 5ft 4cm I walk 10km a day and when I’ m not walking I’ m living a moderately active life, hardly ever sitting down until night time, when I sit down inform of the TV or on the computer for bout 3 hours. Around how many calories would I have to eat to stay the same weight? Thanks!

Dear Jade
Your present BMI = 21,1 which is good for your height and age. Girls of your age need about 2000 cal per day to maintain their normal weight. It is excellent that you do so much walking which is one of the healthiest exercises you can do. Remember to eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and yoghurt, wholegrains and cereals, lean meat, fish (3 times a week) and some healthy fats like polyunsaturated margarine or olive oil every day to keep healthy and build strong bones and teeth.