Question
Posted by: blondie | 2008/08/15

calories and kilojoule ?

Doc can I ask u a stupid question ?I feel stupid asking this question .what is the difference between calories and kilojoules ? which is more ? I went to gym and I ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill and I burnt 171 calories .will I lose weight by burning 171 aclories a day ? or should I run more ? I also did stomach excersises for 20 minutes and 3 sets of squads .will I lose weight ?I feel like its not enough ?

Dear Blondie
No this is not a stupid question at all, but a very relevant one! Calories are the unit of energy that is used in the non-metric system, while kilojoules are the unit of energy used in the metric system. 1 calorie = 4,2 kJ, so when you burnt those 171 cal, you used up 171 x 4,2 = 718 kJ of energy, which is quite a lot. Running for 30 min a day on the treadmill is regarded as adequate aerobic exercise for weightloss. The advantage of doing this type of aerobic exercise is that in addition to the energy you use while exercising, you also use more energy for about 24 hours after exercise because of an increase in the basic metabolic rate! The other exercises will firm you up nicely.
Don't stress, just continue what you are doing, which is excellent.