Question

Calories

Dear DietDoc

What is the most user friendly &  accurate way of calculating my daily calorie intake. I also want to know if the rate (high/low) of my metabolism has any impact on my weight loss.

Dear Calories
Generally speaking adult women will lose weight if they reduce their energy intake to 1500 kcal per day. If you require a very precise calculation then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will take all the pertinent factors such as age, height, present weight, gender, and level of physical activity into account when calculating your energy requirement for weightloss, but it will still be approx. 1500 kcal/day. Many factors affect weightloss including time during the menstrual cycle, stress, high salt intake, tiredness, physical activity, etc. It is important not to get too worried about daily fluctuations in weight because some women gain and lose up to 3 kg on a daily basis. Your weightloss over longer periods such as month, is what you should be monitoring.

1

Dear Calories