Question
Posted by: P | 2010/06/10

Calories

hi, i''ve recently lost too much weight after giving birth in 2008 until now. CyberDoc suggested that i should get my blood sugar and thyroid checked and if it is all normal. i should consider adding more calories to my diet. What calories can one consider if i''m allergic to dairy products?

Dear P
To gain weight you need to increase how much you eat at meals and as snacks. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements such as Nutren or Peptamen which are lactose-free if your milk allergy is due to a lactose intolerance. Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake and also explain what type of dairy allergy you suffer from. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. Meal supplements like

1

Dear P