Question
Posted by: lisa | 2010/02/02

Calories

Good day doc,

I have posted you in last month about exercise and losing weight ect.

But now i am confused,

in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in per day, right?

according to someting that i came across on the net I should eat 2173 calories per day? working out as followed..

655 + (9.6 x body weight) + (1.8 x length in cm) - (4.7 x age)

i weigh 60 kg, i am 150cm and i am 21yrs old. if you use that formula i should consume 2173calories a day and to lose weight burn even more than that (is that formula correct?

how do one burn so many calories in a day?

I gym at home 5 days a week for about an hour every evening before dinner

I start my week with leg training and the next day is just cardio for an hour the next day will be arms and then the next day again cardio ect.

i do a warm up on the treadmill or orbatrek for about 5 - 10min before doing leg exercises or arms.
my exercise program is according to the usn weight loss programm

if i do treadmill for 7min at a speed of 5.5 i ony burn 30calorie, so in order to burn more calories than what i should according to that formula i will have to be on the treadmill for 5 - 6 hours a day at the speed of 5.5. who can do that? or otherwise consume 100 calorie per day meaning i will have 1 and a half apples to eat. Will I ever lose weight?

please help me, maybe i do not understand this whole thing, i dont even know how to count calories

Kind Regards

Dear Lisa
The formula gives you a rough idea of how many kilocalories (kcal) you require per day to keep your normal body functions going and for physical activity. A rule of thumb is that adult women require approx. 2000 kcal per day to maintain weight. 2000 kcal is close to your 2173 kcal/day, so we agreed on this. Then to lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake by 500 kcal per day down to approx. 1500 kcal by reducing your energy intake and doing exercise. Cardio exercises like running on a treadmill or skipping will increase what is called the Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) (the amount of energy you use up to keep your body ticking over even when you are asleep). Thus the effect of doing 30 min of running or skipping will not only burn X amount of kcal while you exercise but an additional amount for at least 24 hours after exercise. So stop trying to work out exactly how many kcal you are burning, just do 30 min of cardio exercise every day and you will start losing weight. Combine the exercise with an energy reduced low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) to obtain the desired effects.
Relax and enjoy the exercise

2
Posted by: AB | 2010/02/03

you' re not meant to try adn burn the entire 2000kcal in your exercise. remember, your body uses a lot of those 2000 kcal you consume each day just keeping you alive (heart beating, lungs working, liver functioning, kidneys filterirng, walking to your desk etc etc) exercise isn' t going to burn 2000kCal! it' ll just help you burn more than usual which is why we exercise. e.g. if your body naturally (without exercise) burns 1500kCal, then exercising as well will help you burn an addition 100kCal (for example!).

all the best!

Reply to AB

Dear Lisa
Relax and enjoy the exercise