Posted by: Tee | 2009-08-19

hi doc. how many calories is 1kg? how many calories do i have to burn in order to lose one kilo?? please assist

Dear Tee
Theoretically 1 kg of fat should contain 37 x 1000 = 37 000 kJ or 9 x 1000 = 9000 kcal. If you intend losing kgs with exercise then you should keep in mind that it is not only the energy you burn during the exercise, but the fact that the exercise will increase your Basic Metabolic Rate for at least 24 hours and use up even more kcals, that promotes weightloss. It is, therefore, difficult to quantify how many kcal you need to burn during an exercise session to achieve the loss of 1 kg. Basically doing aerobic or cardio exercise for 30 or more minutes a day should result in a loss of between 0,5 and 1 kg per week, esp if combined with an energy reduced diet.

Posted by: zama | 2009-10-06

I would like to find out as to how many calories is 1kg. Secondly How can I increase my metabolism.Thanks

Reply to zama
Posted by: pp | 2009-08-19

3500 calories in approx 500 grams, therefore 7000 calories in approx 1 kg. i say " approx"  because it' s 3500 calories in 1 pound.

Reply to pp