Question
Posted by: Gail Anderson | 2009/12/18

Calorie restricted diet

I am 43. Weight 150 pounds which i believe means i have to maintain 1660 calories a day to keep at that weight. Am I correct in saying, I would need to cut down by 500 calories a day in order to lose weight plus excercise?

Dear Gail
You don't mention your height so that I can work out your BMI, but generally speaking adult women who are moderately active can ingest 2000 kcal per day and to lose weight need to reduce their energy intake to 1500 kcal per day. So it is correct that the reduction in energy intake to achieve weightloss is 500 kcal per day, but the 1660 kcal a day you are ingesting is already close to the recommended 1500 kcal/day, so I am not sure how you are going to reduce your energy intake even further and still eat a balanced diet. Exercise is also important and you need to do at least 30 min of aerobic exercise a day to promote weightloss (brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, rowing , skipping, etc).
Wishing you a happy Festive Season

1

Dear Gail
Wishing you a happy Festive Season