Posted by: abc | 2013-01-16

Calorie intake while pregnant

I''m around 5 weeks pregnant now and in general good health and shape. I''m 1.76m tall, and weigh 69kg. I generally count my calories to keep my weight down, and aim to stay close to 1600 calories a day. I eat mostly healthy things - almost no meat, tons of whole grains and veggies and fruits, and small amounts of healthy fats - so I''m not just filling up on empty calories.

How should my calorie intake change now that I am pregnant?

I don''t want to gain unnecessary weight, but I realise I''ll have to up my intake in keeping with my pregnancy.

Dear ABC
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I agree that it is vital for the health of your developing baby and yourself that you increase your energy intake to approx 2000 kcal/day, and start eating foods that are rich in iron, zinc, and vit B12 (meat, fish, eggs), as well as omega-3 (fatty fish or salmon oil capsules), and calcium (milk and dairy products) . Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' to read articles on pregnancy and lactation diets. If you find it difficult to adjust your food and energy intakes please consider consulting a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through the initial phase of eating to ensure that your baby gets the very best chance in life.