Posted by: Rië tte | 2009-05-04

Calorie intake

Hi Vanessa

My husband weighs 100 kg and is 1,92 m. He recently had an elbow operation and can' t do any weights, but will be able to do cardio such as running. What is the minimum calorie per day to loose weight on a healthy basis?

Thank you very much for your advice

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Riëtte

Good question – you seem to understand what most people just don’t get!
The recommendation is to reduce the daily intake with 500-1000 calories per day and to never consume less than 1200 calories per day for women and about 1600 calories for males. The calculation starts with what he would like to weight and includes his daily activity and daily exercise calories and only from that calculation do you deduct about 500 or more, if it fits with the recommendation.

Good luck I hope he recovers speedily!

Take care