Question
Posted by: michelle | 2011-11-09

calorie deficit if calories are already low

There is all this advice for people to lose weight and it says create a calorie deficit. What happens if you normally only eat about 800 calories a day. I cant drop anymore. Im a runner and run 5 times a week. I have a handful of raw nuts during the day and then dinner which is normally a pasta, fish and chips, mash veg and sausages etc.
Im not loosing any weight. How can i cut my calories? Im afraid to start eating more as then ill pick up weight but maybe im not loosing because im in starvation mode???? I have about 6kg to lose.
thanks

Dear Michelle
You don't mention you height in meters or present weight in kg so that I can calculate your current BMI and ascertain if you are not already underweight with a BMI of less than 20??? If you run 5 times a week and only eat a handful of raw nuts and a bit of supper per day, your 800 kcal/day diet is not only deficient in energy, but can also lead to a whole host of other deficiencies (e.g. calcium which can cause brittle bones, iron with can lead to anaemia, protein, zinc, omega-3, etc). For your own sake Please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can evaluate your present body build, your desire to lose an additional 6 kg and your food and nutrient intake. The dietitian will assist you with a more balanced diet and advise how you can improve your nutrient intake so that you don't harm your health.
Take care

2
Posted by: michelle | 2011-11-10

Thats the thing im not underweight yet i still cant lose weight. Im 1.78m tall and i weight 72kg. I do take mutlivitamins each day aswell.

thanks

Reply to michelle
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-09

Dear Michelle
Take care