Posted by: Martin | 2013-01-24

Calorie counting

How do you calculate how much calories you have burned in a day without exercise (BMR) and how much you''ve burned during exercise? Also, how do you know how much you need to eat, and should not eat, in order to lose weight?

Expert ImageBiokinetics expert

Hi Martin,

Calorie total = calorie income vs. calorie expenditure

A dietician will be able to adequately advise on how much calories you having (eating) and this is also on the back of all items purchased. In some cases, its difficult to measure calorie income when you have cooked foods or items which have been combined and cooked.

Regarding calorie expenditure, which also relates to EE (Energy expenditure), this depends on 2 things:
1. Intensity of training
2. Time of training

The harder and longer you train, the more calories you burn
The easy and shorter you train, the less calories you burn

To get an accurate indication, I would advise to get a calorie counter/watch as this would be accurate instead of calculating BMR all the time. This will also be dependent on your metabolic rate! The counter takes this into account as well.

Posted by: Daphne | 2013-02-11

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to â € œ return the favorâ €  .I''m trnyig to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

Reply to Daphne
Posted by: Mokkie | 2013-01-25

If you have access to this app, it works wonderful! Myfitnesspal. You can key in any food, and it is there as well as exercise. Also, if you put in your weight and height, it will tell you how much to eat per day . Good luck

Reply to Mokkie