Posted by: Ali | 2009-04-15

Calf Muscle Injury

I have injured my calf muscle, on examination by the doctor he said it is the small muscle underneath the big muscle. He said it will take 3 months to heal and i should rest for a week. I rested for the week but when I started exercising again, my muscle felt as sore as when I injured it. Is there any specific stretching excercise I could do to? What else can I do to help the healing process on?

Hi Ali

Wow, three months is long, it must be a very bad strain? Usually a torn muscle is a one month thing before the rehab starts, and then depending on the severity, it takes another couple of weeks and you're back in full action. I'm not going to challenge the doc though, he's seen you and knows the specifics, so you have to go with that. But it is encouraging that you can do some exercise after about a week. Sounds too soon though. I think you needed probably three weeks and then a very gradual return to training. The problem with the calf is that you never really rest it - as long as you're walking or standing, you're still using it, and that is why it can take so long.

I wouldn't stretch it, because you might only damage it further. You could look at physio to help the rehab along, but really, when a muscle is torn, you just have to rest it until it's healed. Then the tricky rehab starts, and that's where you do the little exercises and drills to speed up recovery. But for now, it's patience, patience, patience, and some rest.