Posted by: Al | 2009-05-06

Calf muscle exercises

I am a 24-year-old female who really wants to increase the size of my calf muscles. They don' t look bad at all but I want more shape! Can you suggest a routine I can follow?

It’s a difficult one, I won’t lie to you, and calf size is quite strongly influenced by your genes. Exercises help a little, but they don’t usually transform the calves. In terms of what to do, I strongly recommend cycling and running as the best way to develop the calves through cardio activity (which has some other benefits, I might add).

In terms of exercises to do, calf raises are the most effective. Not sure if you have access to a gym, because they have perhaps three machines you can use to help with the calves, but even if you’re not, all you need is a step to stand on with the ball of the foot, with your heels hanging off the back, and then just slowly raise yourself up and down. I’d say 3 sets of 20 would be a good start, building up to 30 and then eventually 50.

One last thing is that if you are at the gym, then the stairmachines are pretty good for the calves as well.

Posted by: Mmmmmm | 2009-05-08

Shape will come from exercises where you keep a straight leg. So do Standing calf-raises.
Full movements. From heel touching ground right up to your toes.
Find heaviest weight for 8 reps - FULL reps.
Lower weight by 20% and do another 8, and again lower the weight for 2 more times. Do this for 4 sets stretching in between.
Pick another calf exercise. Do them twice a week.

Reply to Mmmmmm