Question

Calf Injury

I tore my calf muscle about 7 years ago and it hasnt really given me a problem. Recently i started doing 10km walk / run with the aim of running only but started experiencing sever pain. I went to the physio who massaged the calf as well as acupuncture, it got so painful that the physio and i could not touch it and even causing a limp. The GP advised that i go see a neurologist to check for pinched nerves as well as a sonar and both turned proved to be fine. I now have to see an orthopaedic surgeon. My concern is that i even get cramps in my leg whilst swimming, walking slowly or even whilst sleeping. The GP did tests for acids as well which came out clear. Now they are also talking about an autoimmune disease. I have not gone to the gym or done a race in over a month and i am feeling like some part of my life is missing. What could be the problem?

It's very difficult, if not impossible to guess a cause when three different specialists have not been able to see it with examination. In my reading, the first thing I'd have thought of is a nerve issue, or perhaps a myofascial problem. The extreme sensitivity to touch early, plus the previous history of a tear would suggest that to me. However, to be so bad that it can't even be touched is very unusual. That happens sometimes with compartment syndrome, but this is a common condition and they would almost certainly have picked it up if it were the case (besides which, the symptoms don't sound similar even to me).

So I'm afraid that would have been my first instinct. I don't know of any autoimmune disease that would cause this in only muscle, so I'm skeptical about that. I don't know of acid levels that would do the same - because it's isolated to one muscle, and in one specific place, my feeling is that it's likely to be in the muscle, or in the nerve that supplies this muscle. More than this, I'm afraid I can't guess at.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/26

Reply to fitnessdoc