Posted by: NH | 2012-06-08

Calf cramps when walking

Hi there,

My mother (55 yrs) started walking about 4 weeks ago (for exercise) and finds that after 5-10min her calves start to burn/cramp, to the point where she has to stop and rest them for a minute before continuing. The discomfort does go away quickly (1 or 2 minutes) when standing still and resting them.

Could this be from a lack of exercise over the years and her just needing to stretch more? Could it be from lactic acid as she says her calves are burning and go rock hard.

She has also been on statins over the years for blood pressure, cholesterol etc... (Lipogen 20, Atacand Plus and Ciplavasc 5). She has regular check-ups with her GP and all is well but now we are just trying to work out why she would be getting the calf pain.

Any help you can give, will be appreciated.

I suggest that your mother consults a vascular surgeon. It is possible that the pain she is experiencing is due to poor oxigenation of the tissue in the calf, due to a vascular change that is affecting the blood flow. It is also possible that her calf pain is due to exertion and lactic build-up. It is however, important to ensure that the vascular flow to her legs are healthy.