Posted by: Octavia | 2009-08-13

Hello, I just want to know if my calculations are correct. I' ve been keeping a food and activity journal and I am eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. My activites (calorie burning) range between 800 and 1300 a day. According to the BMR calculater on this site, my BMR is 1510. Now I know these aren' t all accurate and I over estimate food and keep my activites as accurate as possible. Would I be correct in saying that I should be losing weight and not gaining weight (as I am currently doing?). I am a 22 year old female and I have gained about 2kgs since last year this time.

Hi Octavia

If the figures are correct, then yes, you'd be burning more than you take in and you'd be losing weight. The problem is accuracy - let's say your estimates for calorie burning per day are 10 to 15% too high - that means you are actually only burning 700 a day. Then, assume the BMR is 10% lower than calculated - it falls to 1300, and the total is 2000Cal.

Now, if your estimate of energy intake is too high, by a tiny amount of 5%, you gain weight. So these kinds of calculations are impossible to make. This is why calorie counting doesn't work - if your estimate is wrong by 5 jelly babies a day, you can gain 5kg in a year. That's the margin for error...

So the point is, don't get too stuck on the numbers. I think you need to make some discerning choices regarding food intake, and look at when you eat, how much you eat, and then balance that against exercise. But I wouldn't try to count calories - it's not an exact science.