Question
Posted by: Chandre | 2010/03/03

Calculation of kids potion for maintenance

I am 20 and BF 24,he is working fulltime and I am still job hunting and studying part time.How do I work out what he should pay for maintenance as child is attending daycare ( 2years old)

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Both parents have a legal duty and obligation to maintain the minor (minor means a child under 18) biological child born of their marriage. Maintenance must be paid according to what the respective income of each party is. The court will look at various factors such as the age of each child, the state of health of the child and educational needs of each child in order to arrive at a conclusion on how much maintenance is payable.

Calculating the maintenance payable for purposes of divorce is relatively simple. Start at the actual costs of raising a child then split that between both parents according to what they both earn.

For example:

Child costs - R2000 a month

Father earns R6000 a month

Mother earns R4000 a month

The father then pays 60% and mother 40% towards the monthly expenses.

The father pays R1200 a month and the mother R800 a month in that scenario.

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010/03/05

For example:

Child costs - R2000 a month

Father earns R6000 a month

Mother earns R4000 a month

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to Family law expert